SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Good thing I am Suspicious

Quote:
Why do you think it is a "ploy", a trick? Why do you think the point is that it is "nifty"?

I would have simply concluded it was a demonstration. She could have described it, but just hearing a description is not "proof". A demonstration is much stronger "proof". No need for suspicions it seems to me, based on your description.

2nd part first... other cars do NOT come with this as standard. Hence it cannot be seen on other cars.

Nifty: a general term for anything that is good, useful or beneficial.

If you do not think that thing was good useful or beneficial then you'll not think it was nifty. I do think it is good useful or beneficial and thus nifty.

Ploy: please looks up the meaning before asking me if it was really a Ploy or just a demonstration.

* tactic, strategy, or gimmick; a maneuver in a game or conversation

If she were to just Demonstrate, she would say, "Hey yo dude & check out this schnitz'n alarm." Then opened the car door and the alarmed sounds. In such case I am ready for it. I know it is an alarm and it will sound.

By saying nothing and handing me the key to unlock the door she knows the alarm will sound and *I* will have caused it. I will NOT have been expecting it and am not prepared for it. Thus its Impact it far far greater as I get to witness first hand that opening the door, even with a cut key and not a special key, will trigger an alarm. I Own it more than just watch it happen. You wanna talk about Active/Passive? This is Active all the way.

Dien, she is a car saleswoman. She wants my money not the car, so Everything she does is designed to try to get me one step closer to that end. Everything. Why shouldn't I be suspicious? It pays to be circumspect about what the intended seller says to you - remember that they want your money, not the item.

One guy, I told him Exactly what I wanted. One aspect was that it was Manual. He spent 15 minutes trying to get me to buy an auto - not just any auto, but a very specific auto he had in the showroom; not one like it, That particular one. And telling him I was after a manual not an auto didn't stop him. Any guess what I did?

Any guess what he did? He followed me because he wanted to present some dragons to me. Dragons on other cars that His car slayed. As he knew I was deciding between two cars - well, that's the Ploy I used to get a better price from him, clever hey? - he then showed me how best to compare the two, so his car comes up trumps of course.

When I bought my latest motorcycle I did my research prior. So I walked in Armed with information. I knew the RecRet Price was $X + On Road Costs (ORC). I knew that $X + ORC = $Y. And it was from $Y that all negotiations begin.

One store I walked into the guy worked out his numbers then told me the rideaway price was $Y+$450 as his total. Then he said that because I was local he could probably knock off a few dollars and give me a really good deal. Hmm... a deal that would probably see him knock off $450 and bring the bike down to full retail of $Y. Some deal. Good thing I am suspicious. And I had also used my clever Ploy of looking at a Different Make bike - one I know they do not sell - to get them to give me a good price. I left to see another dealer.

Same bike different dealer. He gave me the $Y price I was expecting. I asked if that was his Cash price. Make an offer. Sure, $X ride away. In essence asking him to give me list price as fully registered etc and off I go. I came up in slow decreasing amounts. I reached a price he said he flatly could not do, not even worth asking the boss. I took note of his price.

In the parking lot I called a guy I know - because I am suspicious of vehicle salesmen - and he said he'd call me back. He did and found me what I was after for Below the 2nd dealers "can't go that low not even worth asking the boss" price. Done deal. Ride away w/ 12 months rego for $250 above manufacturer's list. Deposit paid over the phone.

Later in the day both salesmen called me to see how I went. The 1st guy asked how the ride on the other bike went. I told him it gave me a sore back and when I mentioned it to the seller of the bike he suggested I could purchase a back brace! Told him I'd bought a bike elsewhere and he asked for how much. I told him. He punched some numbers and said, "we could have beat that". Interesting, considering he was $450 above what I know List plus ORC is. And now suddenly he can come down over a grand just like that. Good thing I am suspicious.

Other guy calls me. This is Mr Not Even Worth Asking The Boss. I bought it elsewhere. How much? Told him. His reply, "we could have beat that." Funny, you flat out said you could Not go below a certain price and now I tell you I got it for less than your magic number you can do it? Good thing I am suspicious.

Good thing I am suspicious. And next time you go spend many thousands $$$ on a vehicle it might pay you to be suspicious as well. Otherwise, YOU become the sucker.

===

Present Reveal semantics here me thinks.

When a Doctor Reveals something he is Presenting you with the information of it, correct?

So, now when car makers present me with dragons their effect is Zero because those dragons do not apply to me because I have acquired a vehicle that takes care of all my possible dragons. And other dragons I care nothing of. That is why I started my post with... "In making a DEAL (to bring this to the topic) you have to KNOW what the person wants/needs/ is preoccupied with."

Because if you get that wrong you've got nothing and have wasted $$$ in presenting them with dragons. This is a point Gary Halbert makes in the DM Bootcamp about Radon. That is, while it is something people Should be concerned about they are Not. So only spend $$$ marketing Solutions To Problems they are Already concerned about... "you have to KNOW what the person wants/needs/ is preoccupied with."

Whether you want to call "present information about something" as "revealing" instead of the other, hey, that's up to you. It doesn't matter what you call it does it? Make up your own Jargon word or acronym for all it matters. Either way you are providing information to someone with which they will then make a decision - to dismiss it out of hand or buy in just a little bit more. Making a big deal out of me calling it Present instead of Reveal distracts from the point in general.

Michael Ross