SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default I don't think there is a definitive answer, but here's mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
Gordon,

Hope all is well with you, SOWPub and family.

Would you mind me asking a few questions of you on Copywriting?

Do you find any significant differences in copywriting for 1. web page copy, 2. mailorder space advertisements/circulars and 3. direct mail response packages? Could one safely use Keyword search info in identifying niches and appropriate keywords and successfully apply them to an offline, direct mail or mailorder campaign?

The goal is to create copy that could be successful in all the combined marketing media. I know testing is also going to be important. But can a successful online test and its results be applied offline? And what are the things [if any] to look out for? Are there any real differences in terms of copywriting and the AIDA formula for these media?

I see many sources especially the so called Guru's that mention copy must be this way for this particular market... Would you mind clearing up the air on this controversy? Thank you for your honest insight on the matter.

donsonic

donsonic,

I doubt if I can "clear up the air" regarding this topic. the so-called Gurus know what they know, and I don't know what that is. However, I can speak from what experience I do have.

First, I'm not sure what the point would be to: " create copy that could be successful in all the combined marketing media."

The "media" probably determines what eyeballs see the promotion, and that determines what copy is put before them. So, I'll address your questions with my best guess, fair enough?

Do you find any significant differences in copywriting for 1. web page copy, 2. mailorder space advertisements/circulars and 3. direct mail response packages?

I do. I see extemely significant differences in the copywriting for web pages vs. mailorder space advertisments (I'm not sure what is meant by a circular) and direct mail response packages.

Online, you have unlimited space, you can tell a more complete story about your product, which is why so many of the "gurus" tell you to write long copy. A newspaper or magazine makes you pay for every inch of space you use, so your message has to be tighter, targeted and terrific.

Direct mail gives you the option of creating a very long message, like a magalog even, or a many page letter. But it has the advantage of being able to reach a very specific target.

The secret of online is traffic, where it comes from and how it lands on your sales message. Three general types of traffic online; referred, ads and search engine. Each has it's own copy needs, but if the TARGET is right for your message, it probably doesn't matter, but testing would show which way would be cost effective.

Could one safely use Keyword search info in identifying niches and appropriate keywords and successfully apply them to an offline, direct mail or mailorder campaign?

Not sure I understand this question. I think has always been done. Keywords will help you identify a niche and you can successfuly "apply" them to your campaign. The difference is that ONLINE, you find the targets by using these keywords, offline, in a direct mail or other direct response type of campaign, you have to find them. That is why list management is so critical to direct mail and why response management is essential to any space ads (which I'm assuming you mean by "mailorder campaign").

If, perhaps, you give some specific examples, then, perhaps, I can provide a more detailed answer based upon my own experience.

But can a successful online test and its results be applied offline?

I would guess it depends on the market and the product. If it is a success online, then there is DEMAND, which may indicate there is demand offline too, but not always, especially if it involves software or computer related or techno stuff. I'd look for LISTS of buyers of similar products offline and look at the promotions that sold them that stuff to see if would "translate".

And what are the things [if any] to look out for?

I don't know. I look for DEMAND. For a large enough universe of people with money who WANT what I have to offer. Then media, how do I get my sales message in front of them.

Are there any real differences in terms of copywriting and the AIDA formula for these media?

Again, based upon my experiences, there are very real and measurable differences in terms of copywriting and the AIDA (by the way, mine is AIDCAS) Attention, Interest, Desire, Conclusion, Action and Satisfaction.

Bottom line for any copy: the message has to match the TARGET, and the media may or may not determine where to find the target.

I'd want to know as much about the person who is finding the promotion as I can. With direct mail, you know a lot before you send them anything.

In target specific magazines, (GOLF for example) I can make a copy assumption that the reader has an interest in golf, and perhaps in one of the dozens of sub niches that golf offers.

Online, I'd want to know the source of the traffic, how the person found the web site, that would probably determine the type and length of copy.

Does any of it crossover? Maybe. Probably does, since the "keywords" may be what resonates, in Golf it would be "longer drive". And I've seen that "keyword" in direct mail, space ads and in TV and Web site copy.

Now you've got one opinion anyhow.

Gordon