SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 4, 2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Well, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
Gordon,

Thank you for your reply!

As always, I appreciate your experience and brutally honest insight. This gives me a good foundation in preparing copy for the different media. I am going to test market an information product; and go step by step into the web, print ads and direct mail space. Just wondering if there are any links or similarities in preparing copy for/across that media.

And on the keyword issue that may have been unclear... can you apply and use keywords from your web research in your print ad, mailorder or DM campaigns?

Have a Happy 4th of July, Independence Day 2009.

donsonic

donsonic,

Correct me if I'm wrong. You have an information product of some sort. You plan on selling this IP on the web. Will it be a download only product? OR Will it be something you have to send to them? (Audio, DVD, CD, Paper and Ink).

You plan on using Space ads, which are print ads but not direct mail ads? You are planning, if I understand it, to use DIRECT RESPONSE ads in print media; newspapers and magazines and newsletters, right?

You will NOT be sending out direct mail pieces that land in someone's mailbox, correct?

The preparation of the ad is dependent on the media. Are there similarities? I would assume you have to push the same "hot" buttons for each reader, so, I guess, yes you can create an ad from a "group" of keywords you've found to be niche specific on the Internet.

Other than using KEYWORDS, like in my golf example, I don't know any other way to use them in print. I'm probably not helping you at this point.

I think that if your information is topical, if the target market is tuned in, and you test that it is able to be sold, then I think you can take those lessons with you into whatever copy you are going to be writing for your market.

I have a golf product, Think And Reach Par. It is an audio program about to go back to book form. So, knowing golf like I do, my keywords would start with "longer drives, more distance, add yards", etc. Because people buy information products about those subjects more than they buy just general golf advice, like how to swing a club.

So my web site will emphasize (in the headline) longer drives.
My print ads will also use those keywords in the headline, could be identical to the web site, and the copy could be identical too.

My direct mail will be targeted toward people who have recently purchased golf information regarding longer drives and/or lower scores. And my envelope teaser, if I use any, will be about longer drives.

When the time comes, I'll proably use a Google Ads campaign and ask for specific golf web sites to post my ads on. And, online, I'll have a squeeze page (capture their email) with a special report, all delivered via autoresponder, and each with a sales "pitch" for the book.

So the entire web campaign IS keyword oriented. The direct response newspaper ads will have those "key words" also and the direct mail piece will also use the same keywords as the web site.

Since my product will be physically delivered, because I want their mailing addresses, it may vary if it were to be a digital download.

But when I sit down to write the copy for any of the media, I'll pull out my PictoGrigm of Persuasion, isolate my TARGET in his/her bubble of preoccupation and write according to where my promotion is going to intersect on their TRACK...and that will determine IF I can use the same copy for all the media, or if I have to adjust it to a specific medium.

Good luck with your information product. Let us know when it is ready to buy, you'll get a few fast start sales right here at SowPub.

Gordon