SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 9, 2009, 05:08 AM
Eternal Optimist

Default Re: Here's why good ideas are lousy ideas...

Hi, TW - you're giving yourself such a beating :O)

I wonder if you've ever stood on the other side of the counter? Have you worked in a retail/reception environment where you have to sell direct to the public - maybe this is where your forte is? (Someone once said that to me - and it was true!)

First of all, I like the products which we sell in our shop. I am confident of their quality, their design, their value for money. So, when people come in, it's so easy to allow them to do the buying. OK, there are a percentage who go away without anything. But that's a good thing. .... here's the reason why.

As a shopkeeper, I need people to come into the shop. I need them to look around quite thoroughly to see what's available. If they don't buy, at least they have seen what is on offer and they know exactly where to get it if and when they need it. Retailing doesn't work at all without the process of someone looking at our shop window and/or coming in to the store.

There are people who just want to do their own thing; who resent the intrusion and will be put off if you invade their space. Sometimes I like to shop like this; I just want to go into a store and pick up the items I need.

There are people who love personal service, whether or not they have any intention to buy. Some tourists will ask for help, allow you to tear the shop apart to show them everything remotely interesting and then buy a postcard. There are other people who will come in, ask for your help, and end up spending a lot of money because you're completely in tune with what they want.

Then there are the folks who are relaxed, interested only in a cup of coffee, but while in the store they will spot something which, like Dien's MacBook, just catches their imagination - and suddenly they've spent a huge amount of money for a cup of coffee!

We make friends out of our customers; we help them when they're stranded with heavy parcels, needing a lift home. (OK, that courtesy extends to the town boundaries, but you get my drift!) We order stuff specially for them, find out about products, do our absolute best to give good service.

That's one side of standing on our side of the retail counter. A different side is dealing with the sales people who call in. I hope we are courteous, but we don't always have the time or inclination to speak to someone if they turn up unannounced. If it's lunch time and the coffee shop is going flat out, it's the wrong time to do more than wave at me from the front door if you're hoping to sell me something. Then, if you do get to speak to me, you have to allow me to make the decision on whether or not your products are suitable for our store. It's my money I'll be spending.

However, if I say "No, it's not for us." then I'm quite likely to be helpful if a rep asks "Where's a good place for me to try?" Now that's useful to you because I know the town, I know the types of businesses because I keep an eye on my competition, so I can probably suggest a good fit for your product.

As a buyer, I amn't going to buy because of the logic of the product itself. I am going to buy something because I think it will add value to my offering to my customers. Also, as a retailer, I have found that if the product isn't good enough for me to buy (ie sale or return goods), then they're just not good enough to waste our valuable shelf space. I amn't going to spend money on advertising if my budget is already spent for the month or the year. But I might be seduced by a special offer if the price is right for a last minute ad.

I don't know if this helps you or not; you have to be able to "transmogrify" into the other person because you have to know and understand his or her problem.

Margaret

ps, I did try direct sales a couple of times - and was well out of my comfort zone. However, one thing I did learn out of it was that you maybe ought to call back again a few days or weeks later to see if there is a change of heart. It takes a bit of organisation to follow up, but assuming that a decision is a lifetime event can be an expensive mistake. Even if you leave every type of contact information possible, people lose it, bin it, shred it - or file it in the attic, so it is up to you to put your head above the parapet and give it one more try.

pps. It could be a good idea sending a thank-you card to prospects after you've seen them, especially the ones who didn't buy, especially if you chose a postcard or greeting card which is memorable.