SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
Bozo

Default Re: How To Be Charismatic?

Paraphrased from the Wikipedia site, charismatic individuals generally project:
  • Unusual calmness.
  • Confidence.
  • Assertiveness.
  • Dominance.
  • Focus.
  • Superb communication and/or oratorical skills.
  • Authenticity.

Calmness comes from within, and I think it would take a huge effort to develop a calm attitude if one wasn't naturally that way.

Confidence comes from experience or practice, so one could work in that direction.

Assertiveness, dominance, and focus go hand in hand. You either are or you're not, although it's possible to learn the moves and then practice until you gain confidence and the calmness that goes with the package.

Focus comes from conciously applying all the above traits.

Communication is the result of all the above, as one can't be charismatic by himself.

I purposely left authenticity for last in my list. It has been my experience that charismatic individuals only give the appearance of authenticity, and are usually far from authentic. TV preachers come to mind, along with many politicians, and some of the so called gurus of the various scam businesses.

I think it's possible to learn the techniques employed by the charismatics. It comes naturally to the true charismatic, just like the pathological liar. Often they are one and the same. Not to say that all charismatics are liars or bad people, it just seems that crap floats to the top where it's visible.

Is it possible to become more charismatic? I don't think so. That would be like becoming more pregnant. You never hear of someone being sort of charismatic.

Is it possible to develop personality traits that allow one to achieve greater success in sales? Definitely. You don't have to be a charismatic to be a nice, friendly, attentive, and caring person.