SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28, 2009, 01:28 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Men Women Music Maths Oh My

Interesting.

Sandi, you posed the question then said this was not the place to discuss such things - but YOU asked the question.

Anyway. Maybe this will help you understand TW's stance...on a construction site the other week - dominated by men - a woman rigger was working. A co-worker said to me, "how do you think she'd feel knowing every guy on the site wants to **** her".

If a girl walks onto a construction site, within minutes every man knows she's there, even if they haven't seen her they've been Told by others who may have seen her - or - who heard it themselves.

Granted, in such a male dominated industry it is surprising to find a woman working in any of the fields. But that isn't why Word Spreads.

Have you seen the comedy skit by French and Saunders. They dress as two fat old guys looking at a mag with a nice girl in it. One says "I'd give her one" the other says "I'd give her two", I'd give her ten", I'd give her a hundred" and hip gestures are made. It's funny in the truth of a male dominated crib room.

TW's stance is... a man seeks something to **** and all woman unknown to the man are viewed this way.

Woman on the other hand lean towards a Provision scale.

Let me elaborate...

Men and Women were outfitted with glasses that could track where the eye was looking. The results were...

Men checked out the behind, map of tassie area and breasts and their eyes flittered between them. (Hence the joke about something on a sexy woman's face and the other guys says "I didn't get that high").

Woman were checking out the man's hands and oddly his shoes and face. Men in suits were given much longer look overs than guys in casual gear.

The results are indicative of the "men are looking for someone to ****, while woman are looking for someone to provide". It's as simple as that when stripped down to it.

And this ain't something new. Look at Islam. The entire idea of covering the woman is so the men who cannot keep it in their pants (control themselves) will not be tempted. Even with covered up women the urge is still there.

Onward.

Ankesh, the HipHop or Rap Crap market as I call it, didn't Evolve anymore than any other Popular music. The Music Giants decided THAT is the type of music they will promote and end of story.

Boy Bands don't make their way up through the pub scene and into the limelight. They are Nothing and then they are Something. ALL orchestrated and created by Big Music. Radio stations don't play Unheard of Talent to let us know what is out there. They play what they have an agreement with Big Music to play. Sure there are Some musicians whom this does not apply to - but - they aren't what makes up the overwhelming vast majority of the top 100. What makes it up are Manufactured Artists.

Look at questionably-talented Katy Perry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Perry from nowhere she is declared "the next big thing" and completely pushed and orchestrated into the Pop Zone by Big Music. While people who can actually sing, write songs and music and play instruments are left by the way side because they don't have a Big Music deal. HA, I'm reminded of comedian Bill Hicks (deceased) and his take on such talent and their Deal with Satan.

80s music isn't making a comeback. Its popularity to Gen X never went away. It's only that some radio stations are waking up to it, even if they already knew it before hand.

Years ago a station in Brisbane ran full page newspaper ads asking what people wanted to hear. The results where... 60s, 70s and 80s and less 90s. So what did the station do? Nothing. It continued playing 90s garbage and lost ratings. It has since - recently - started playing what it was told people wanted to hear a decade earlier and their ratings have increased. Duh!

Go to Myspace music and have a listen to Electric Mary, KDC and Cog - all from Australia. Never heard of them, right? But I'd rather listen to them and enjoy their musical skills than have a bout of Marshall Bruce Mathers III crapping on.

Mainstream Music is controlled by the big Music Companies. Period.

Onward.

Maths vs Boys vs Girls.

There are two schools in town. One a boys school and the others a girls school. Every year the boys do better at math-related topics and the girls at written topics, yet both are taught the same thing.

What is hardwired into us are basic but different survival skills. From a primitive tribe point of view, the men are the hunters the women the gatherers. Today's society has not changed. The same things that hardwired into men to make them efficient hunters are present. The same thing that's hardwired into a women to make sure her Provider and Offspring are fine are still present.

To hunt, men needed teamwork. Even if they hated each other they could work together to complete a hunt. And to formulate a plan of attack.

Women could not allow deprivation of any supply lest her immediately family was disadvantaged. This is why women bicker and fight over things men scratch their head at - about one getting more Break Time or whatever (in modern times).

These hardwired skills are what enable men - on average - to be better at math-related things while woman are better at written-related things. Our brains process information differently. It's why women can't read maps and men won't ask for directions. It's why men can take corners in a car faster than women. Our brains work differently. Coupled with our slightly different body mechanics gives us different inherent abilities mentally and physically.

Michael Ross