Go to the Main Business Forum page

3 Successful Business Models I've Seen Lately [Archive] - Page 8 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3 Successful Business Models I've Seen Lately

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Bozo
June 1, 2008, 01:17 PM
It is ALL about Positioning, Balance Point and Momentum. The same way the Ikea Box could have been Walked - from balance point to balance point with the aid of momentum.

You can use Brute Force and that requires tremendous strength as you are trying to Lift the entire thing and give it Upward Momentum at the same time. Or you can use Balance Points, Positioning and Momentum. How much of each depends on the dimensions of the object and where you want to move it to.

Also remember Archimedes' advice... use a Lever. Which Gives Strength dependent on the Length of the Lever and the Lever point (fulcrum). And a lever can be anything - a screw driver, piece of 4x2, crow bar or pry bar or Burke Bar.

And above all, remember my tag line - near my photo.

Michael Ross

You're exactly right Michael.

Take the case of a heavy bag that you can't lift above your waist, but that you can swing. Give it a swing and then just guide it to the higher target.

I've been planning to move a 22' x 8' steel storage building, that weighs at least 5,000 lbs and probably more. I'm going to move it by myself, by hand, with no levers, no jacks, no cables, for a distance of about 20' and in the process turn it around 180°. Why? Because my friend said I couldn't. :)

I got the method here (http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/), but with a modification to make it even easier. He drags balance weights from end to end, and I plan to construct a tank on each end and pump water back and forth as needed to achieve the balance.

The guy at the above link left out some rather important details of his method, but by studying his photos and using a model I think I have it figured out. Once set up, the longest part of my move will be waiting for the water to transfer from tank to tank.

There is always a way!

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page