SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default Yes, it is a good discussion, and if you have the skills and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
But his recent (free) newsletter talked about repositioning from a copywriter to "partnering" with your clients and not freelancing.
He talks about the coming recession or downturn and how this will help you survive and prosper.

Obviously, I'm the solution.

Larry Foster

Yes Larry you are the SOLUTION. But then, you always have been. I love Clayton...not so sure about AWAI since I visited them last year...but, Clayton is spot on. HOWEVER,

even though I currently have those kind of relationships with marketing companies that Clayton talks about...and what he says is great stuff...

And HE and about a dozen others selling "copywriting" courses or how to build a copywriting business all have ONE thing in common...and he talks about this in the post you linked to...

The continous EFFORT of finding new customers...and doing MORE WORK for those people you have. This is great advice.

And I'd be following this great advice but for two reasons:

ONE, I'm too old and tired to be working that hard (and I'd like to eliminate ALL my clients ASAP)

TWO, the TOLL POSITION as Harvey Brody teaches it (the "set it and forget it" model)...

has me working about 80% of my time on setting up those kinds of LONG term, continuous, ownership and use and control, type deals that eliminate the need to find new customers or to satisfy and do more for the customers you have. It is IN MY OPINION, a much better model, especially for us older types...

than to get into "relationships" and become a "partner" as opposed to a FREELANCER...

I 110% agree with Clayton that the "partnership" is better than FREELANCING, and my current deals are along those lines...with a % of profits that I help generate...GOOD STUFF.

But in my eyes, a Harvey Brody TOLL POSITION that pays for years, or decades perhaps, as many of his have done...with the ability to cash out instantly (by flipping for a profit) or holding on to build up equity...as Clayton is doing with his ad agency (using it as his big money cash out for retirement)...and/or passing it on to your heirs or estate...

is a model that has greater appeal to me.

Thanks for pointing us all to that excellent discussion at Clayton's place.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. OH, his model does require you to have SKILLS, as in copywriting and marketing and negotiating...in Harvey Brody's model, it is possible for a complete neophyte to hit a home run with some continuous effort...learning as he goes by DOING the step by step process.

PPS. HERE IS a bit of GOLD from Clayton...hope he doesn't mind:
***********Quoted from Clayton Makepeace****************
Here in the States, there are twenty million businesses with 500 or fewer employees. I’m sure there are millions in Australia as well.

Many of these businesses are NOT your best prospects. Many are too small, too ignorant, too poor. Others (among the larger ones) are too arrogant (read: ignorant) or already have the marketing thing covered well.

That still leaves millions of businesses that would be dream partners for all of us!

They have products that bring tremendous value to customers’ lives.

Their owners are highly motivated to grow (or in this recession, to survive).

****************End of quote****************8

And this answers the question (I've gotten in PM and email) about WHO is going to really pay for a $100,000.00 a seat seminar? "Come ON Gordon, you're NUTS!"

FACT is, as Clayton points out...there are thousands of small biz owners, doing 10 to 50 million a year that would love to add a huge % of new business to their bottom lines. We know who they are. We have the goods they need...and it isn't about the number...it is, as I seem to be saying more and more every day...all about your TARGETS...

IT IS ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS...OR WOULD BE CUSTOMERS.

Do you know how many owners/CEO's would not want to increase their million dollar businesses a few more million...there may be a few...but they aren't on our lists.

gjabiz

Last edited by GordonJ : January 26, 2008 at 12:15 PM.