SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 29, 2007, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Default No! BUT...what about this....

Hey Tim...my opinion is that, most people who have "clutter"...don't know or even care...that they have "clutter"....unless they're "Virgos". And, I don't think people want anyone "messing with their stuff". IF your letter happens to grab their interest, the first thing that comes to their mind (imho) is, "I'm going to have to sort this stuff out myself anyway, so, why don't I just take it one extra step to the garbage can?'

You have 4 hours available from 8 till noon. Why not consider "Cleaning Parking Lots" of small strip malls, apartment complexes, bowling alleys, movie theatres, dept stores?

These people all have garbage and "clutter" in their parking lots that they'd like to have "outa there"!

1) Choose a certain section of your town that has some small strip malls, apartment complexes...etc

2) Look for a sign that gives the name of the leasing agent or property mgr....or you may have to call one of the tenants.

3) Phone them and tell them YOU would like to "give them an estimate of cleaning their parking lot.
You are doing what's known as "Introductory Calling"....where you simply are "introducing yourself and your service".
"Hello Mr_____ My name is Tim Thach. My business is "Cleaning Parking Lots". I specialize in providing daily or weekly parking lot litter cleanup to keep your property free from litter, debris and broken glass. I can provide you with daily or weekly service for less than you are paying now. Can I stop by and give you an estimate?"

Don't get discouraged if you get some "nos". YOU have a "Unique Service" to offer. One they may not have heard of before. There are "sweeping" services in most areas BUT, these are expensive and...they aren't done every day. Your service "should" be "Daily" to keep the cleanest appearance.

4) Meet with them...discuss their needs...look over the grounds and write up an "Estimate" based on Daily, Twice Weekly, 3 Times Weekly, once a week.

Stress the fact that your service is "Dedicated" to "Cleaning Parking Lots". Stress that a clean parking lot helps attract customers for their tenants.

Pricing: someone I know who's doing this now, charges $20 per day based on 5 days a week or $440 a month (22 visits/Mo) for Daily Service (He can service 3 properties an hour)....$360/Mo for 3 days per week ($30 per visit)... $300/Mo for 2 days per week...and $240/Mo for 1 day a week.

His "equipment" is simply a scoop shovel, broom, push broom, trash can and a special "Litter Catch" he made out of wire that holds a large plastic bag with a wide mouth that makes it easy to sweep the litter into.

Your available time is perfect for visiting new accounts and...doing the cleanup. As you get more jobs you can consider giving up your "regular job".

There are very few businesses that specialize in "Daily CleanUp" of Trash and Litter of Parking Lots. The "Sweeper" companies do BUT, they also charge plenty for their service...and...having a janitor or someone already on the payroll do this is NOT the best way for management to handle their Lot CleanUp.

I hope I've inspired you to look further into this. The guy I know who does this has 5 or 6 workers and he's making a BIG Chunk of cash every month.

Don Alm
Make Money providing MENUS to Restaurants
http://www.menubux.com

P.S. Also...re: "Mailing a Sales Letter to a Cold List" is a waste of time and money. I'd CALL first...tell what you do...give benefits to why they should consider your service....THEN....ask permission to either give an estimate or "Mail" them more information.