SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 16, 2016, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default Listening to mentors.

Sandalwood brought up a couple of points, the first one is listening to mentors.

We sowpubbers are a tad bit older than Warriors. But, your experience could also be a detriment.

Sandalwood had a mentor making 50k a month, and he followed the mentor's direction.

Today, we have too much experience and I'll tell of recent experiences.

There are several different kinds of Biz-Ops in the selling of advertising.

The 9x12 postcard, the coffee news franchise, coupon books, school folders, pizza boxes, flyers, inserts, and on and on and on.

Many gurus. Many mentors.

Even ME. I quit. I quit mentoring in step by step, tested and proven marketing strategy to sell ads on certain products...and do it quickly. I quit because, no one listened. See, the guys I dealt with all wanted to modify the steps.

Some wanted to stay home and send email. NO, doesn't work, but go ahead and try if you want.

Some wanted to make phone calls. NO doesn't work, but give it a go.

Some didn't want to use maps. NO won't work, but do as you want.

The result, NO success, and rather than take responsibility for not following the step by step, word for word, tested and proven method, which they begged for, and wanted to modify...

but got no results from, was somehow MY fault.

And then I had enough. Changed things up and will no longer work with people in any form or a mentor capacity.

I have a friend, in his 50's, who is just starting a new job selling, and my advice to him is

Forget what you know and follow directions and don't try to modify a program with a 7 year track record and 65 successful sales people.

IF he is able to, he will have found a good future. But he is going to be his own worst enemy because he KNOWS too much.

Recently, I've worked with 3 people who, for some reason, want to work with Wordpress, against my advice for what they wanted to do.

All 3 of them had problems with WP, all 3 were delayed, spent time when time was important. I now simply say, go ahead and do what you want.

My mentoring takes a different turn.

Now selling HOW to information, especially about making money has always had this problem built into it. The buyer pays for the information, but wants to modify it or do it his own way, and they find failure.

And it is one reason why young people can get to IM profitability faster than we old farts can, they don't KNOW what they don't know.

So take a look in the mirror, do you by any chance see a self saboteur?

I know I have on several occasions.

GordonJ