Go to the Main Business Forum page

Is there a "fear" that's holding you back? What should you do about it? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "fear" that's holding you back? What should you do about it?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Dien Rice
October 21, 2007, 09:20 PM
I just got the book "How To Get Rich" by Felix Dennis. In case you never heard of him, he's a British publishing "tycoon" who's worth somewhere in the range of $500 million to $900 million (according to his own estimate)... I wrote about him a little before (you can read a little more about Felix Dennis in my earlier post (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14817))...

Anyway... I'm only starting the book, but one of the things he emphasizes early on is FEAR... That FEAR is what holds most people back!

"Fear" can stop you from getting started! He says for many people it's "fear of failure" - the bad consequences of failure. But it's also fear of PUBLIC failure! If you try and fail, and everyone knows about it, it could be humiliating - and some people can't take that! Some people feel it's better to "play it safe"... If you apply for a job, and don't get it, nobody really needs to know about that "failure", because it's usually done and over in a few days. But a business is much more "public"...

Speaking of myself, I don't think I have a "fear of failure." (I've failed too many times in the past to let it worry me too much! I think I have a good track record on "bouncing back"...) But, I do have a "fear" too... Which is, I have a "fear" of "offending" people. I am not easily offended myself - but I hate the idea that I might "offend" others. So I would find it "hard" to do a "rich jerk" type promotion, because it's intentionally offensive... But that fear is probably also holding me back as well. (You don't need to offend others to succeed, but - you do have to keep in mind that your promotions may "annoy" others who are not your prospects... Simply because they're not interested.)

What other fears are there? Any good tips on overcoming these fears?

I'll let you know what else Felix Dennis says in the book (if he has any good advice - I'm still reading the relevant chapter on this topic)... :)

Cheers,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page