Go to the Main Business Forum page

If I showed you a way to make a dollar, would you give me back a quarter? [Archive] - Page 19 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : If I showed you a way to make a dollar, would you give me back a quarter?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

ImpactYourArea.com
October 4, 2006, 12:38 AM
I am so glad to hear you say that.

I always rant about how limited the web + internet are when it comes to marketing. No one ever believes me... even when I back up my talk with facts that cannot be discounted.

People think the web is the be all + end all of marketing, when in fact, it has crippling limitations that make it PALE in comparison to offline methods!

The quicker people fall OUT of love with the web (as a way to market things), the quicker they will be on a path to REAL riches.

Cheers!

-- TW

TW,

What an interesting perception. I find when people speak of facts, on how and where you should do business, most have either never had an online business or tried and failed and believe their experience proves that you are better off not wasting your time trying or trying again.

I say hogwash to the notion that you can't make real riches on the Internet. The problem with facts is that they never seem to take the human factor into consideration and eventually become disproved.

People do not buy based on facts. They buy based on what they want, what they perceive they need, and whether the price is cheaper online as compared to offline, how fast they can find it and get it.

Remember,

It was a fact that a dos based program, on an IBM computer, with a Graphic User Interface, would never sell.

It was a fact that the Internet was just a fad.

If was a fact that the average person would never purchase anything over the Internet, because they couldn't touch it.

I have found for myself, that selling geniune ideas and products that work, over the Internet, has generated, not just money, but a steady income for my family since 1994 and my income continues to grow as do the items I sell.

For example, the home study course I wrote and sell soley on the Internet, is a money maker for me and has found worldwide interest and acceptance from many of my clients. My server logs have shown a 400% increase in visits to my site, since this time last year as well as my paypal activity.

I couldn't market and get that type of worldwide attention offline. If I tried the marketing costs offline would be astronomical.

Now back in the early 1990's, I tried to sell other peoples info products, widgets and so on and I'd have to agree with you, it is limited.

However, the minute I started creating my own products to sell, or buying chattel to sell, then the money started coming in. The Internet for me, has given me a larger customer base, since I started my first business many years ago.

But the key to selling on the Internet? Sell your own stuff, or be in complete control of a product, so that you can dominate your market. That's not from some Internet guru's book. That's from my own experience.

Also marketing, on the Internet is not as stressful or limited as offline marketing. I know this because I own 2 offline businesses and that marketing is more restrictive and managing it at times can literally exhaust you.

For example, if I run an ad in the yellow pages, then that one ad will stay the same for an entire year and there is no options to make changes, until the following year. So if my phone number is wrong, it will be wrong for an entire year. On the Internet, I can make changes to my advertising, so I can keep it fresh and accurate.

Being an owner of 2 offline businesses and 1 online business I would have to say that marketing is valuable, but what you do in one arena usually cannot be done in another with the same results.

Both offline and online have their place and their marketing methods will be diverse, but both ventures can fail if I am not willing to market them.

The Internet is a great place to do business and have a business.

From the Trouse
Woody Quiñones
ImpactYourArea.com (http://www.ImpactYourArea.com)

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page