Go to the Main Business Forum page

Do they see you as a huckster? aka: Be careful what you glorify... [Archive] - Page 14 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do they see you as a huckster? aka: Be careful what you glorify...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19

Dien Rice
August 31, 2008, 01:11 AM
There ARE good people out there with some altruistic motives but they're fewer in number than they used to be, I believe. Maybe it's just my perception but I think this 'shrinking of caring' attitude is partly why folks like me become jaded and fed up with the internet a lot of times. You can only be pushed so far, disappointed so many times, before one looks elsewhere for the good life. Been there, done that.
I think what it often boils down to is whether businesspeople take a "long term" or a "short term" approach...

When businesspeople take a "long term" approach, it "naturally" leads to a situation that is both good for them and for the customer. A long term approach usually means trying to make repeat sales to their customers. A customer won't buy repeatedly unless they are happy. So a businessperson with a long-term view will naturally want happy customers, so they'll become repeat customers.

With a long term approach, the pressure is on the businessperson to make sure their customers are happy. It's win/win!

However, when businesspeople take a "short term" approach, then there is more tendency to exaggerate, lie, etc. They're not thinking about repeat sales - just making the sale (usually a high priced one), taking the money, and disappearing. There is much less incentive to please the customer - since they're not aiming for repeat sales anyway. There's a bigger chance it will be win/lose.

I think, as long as you take a long term approach, you'll "naturally" head in the direction of trying to please your customers. I think your chances of success are also higher, if you aim for repeat sales, rather than once-off sales. I believe it is a more "solid" approach to building a business...

- Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page